Avoid These Fireplace Mistakes

FireplaceDo you have a fireplace in your home? If so, you probably love the warmth that it provides you in the wintertime. There’s nothing quite like sitting around a crackling fire when it’s cold outside. However, using a fireplace is a big responsibility, and there are some mistakes that those with fireplaces often make. Let’s examine a few of them below.

Forgetting to have a fireplace inspected and cleaned regularly

If you have a fireplace in your home, the National Fire Protection Association recommends that you have it inspected and cleaned at least once every year. When you use it, soot and other debris can build up in your chimney, and if it isn’t removed, it could lead to a fire down the line. Therefore, it’s essential for you to have your fireplace inspected and cleaned to avoid this from happening.

Using a fireplace improperly

Using a fireplace isn’t terribly difficult to do. But before you start using one, you should make sure you know the basics. From opening the flue to keeping the fireplace doors shut once the fire starts going to prevent deadly gases from leaking into your home, you should take the time to educate yourself about building a fire and maintaining a fireplace.

Failing to install carbon monoxide detectors near a fireplace

No matter how careful you are about maintaining your fireplace and making a fire the right way, there’s always at least a small chance that carbon monoxide could find its way into your home. It could make you, your family, and your pets very sick. Carbon monoxide detectors will alert you to the presence of carbon monoxide so that you can get out of your home and prevent health scares.

If you have a fireplace in your home, you should also have fire alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, and other fire-related equipment at your disposal. Life Safety Consultants can set you up with everything you’ll need. Call us at 888-557-0558 to inquire about the products we currently have in stock.


Leave a Reply

  • (will not be published)