Leading Causes of Commercial Electrical Fires

A circuit board overheats and begins smokingElectrical issues are among the leading causes of fires in commercial buildings. If you own a business of any size, you likely have a lot on your plate and don’t often think about the risk of fire. Luckily, knowing the causes of these fires ahead of time can help you prepare and prevent them from happening in the first place. Here are some of the leading causes of commercial electrical fires.

Electrical Outlets/Wiring

Faulty outlets and wiring can be an issue for a commercial building of any size or variety. Over time, outlets and switches may start to fail and the wiring behind them may wear out as well.

It may also be the case that there’s nothing wrong with the wiring except that it’s being overloaded. Older buildings may not have the wiring capacity to handle the increased electrical output of today. When that overloading happens, the wiring can heat up and catch fire. If you notice electric devices feeling hot to the touch, your circuit breaker overloading often or any unexplained burning smells, these could be signs that you’re overloading your outlets.

Light Fixtures

You probably don’t think of the lighting in your office as a potential fire hazard, but that can be the case if you’re not careful. Oftentimes, lamps and fixtures are equipped with bulbs that contain too high a wattage for the fixture to handle. This can cause the fixture to overheat and start a fire. Additionally, placing material over a lampshade can cause a fire.

Lack of Equipment Maintenance

If you have a lot of electrical equipment of any kind in you commercial building, it’s vitally important that you maintain the equipment and look out for any potential issues. Frayed and damaged wires are a common Firestarter, so they should be taken care of right away.

Motors can cause fires under certain circumstances, so any equipment with a motor should be monitored and maintained. If there’s any manufacturing process that occurs in your building that creates a lot of dust as a byproduct, this is also a fire hazard as it can cause short circuiting.

Fire safety is an important aspect of ensuring your business runs smoothly. If you feel the need to upgrade your company’s fire safety equipment, Life Safety Consultants can help you do just that. We sell top-of-the-line fire-safety tools, such as fire alarm parts, smoke detectors, pull covers and more. Call 1-888-557-0558 to learn more about our products.

Leave a Reply

  • (will not be published)